Thursday, May 4, 2017

Minimalists


shared An Lâm
Like This Page · 18 hrsEdited 

Ở Mỹ có một phong trào gọi là the Minimalists - những người sống tối giản. Có cả website và những phương cách hướng dẫn làm sao để sống tối giản, đối lập với cuộc sống chạy theo vật chất và bề nổi của đa số dân chúng. Nổi bật trong phong trào này là hai anh chàng sáng lập ra website the minimalists, cả hai anh đều từng làm tổng giám đốc hay giữ những chức vụ cao ngất tương tự cho các tập đoàn triệu đô, bản thân từng có thu nhập vài trăm nghìn mỗi năm. Một anh sau khi mẹ qua đời và vợ bỏ đi đã quyết định thay đổi cách sống, anh còn sau khi bị mất việc thì quyết đinh hợp tác với anh kia, thế là cả hai dong ruổi trên chiếc Toyota quèn lang thang khắp nước Mỹ. Hai anh làm phim tư liệu, đi thuyết trình tại các trường đại học, thư viện về lối sống tối giản.

Từ lúc mới sang Mỹ tôi đã bị thu hút mạnh mẽ bởi lối sống của hai anh này, thậm chí còn đặt ra chỉ tiêu chỉ sử dụng chỉ 30 thứ đồ dùng trong một tháng. Đọc đến đây có người sẽ nghĩ, 30 thứ? bị điên à? chỉ cần những thứ mỹ phẩm để vẽ cho đôi mắt của tôi ( vỉ màu, bút chì, kem lót da mắt, các loại cọ khác nhau để vẽ mắt viền mắt, các loại cọ khác nhau để tô màu mắt, mascara, đồ kẹp lông mi, lông mi giả, các loại bột để vẽ chân mày, kem che quầng thâm, các loại cọ đủ kích cỡ để vẽ chân mày...) là đã hơn 30 thứ rồi? Vâng, vì họ đã quen chạy theo vật chất, đời nhất định là phải có những thứ ấy họ mới tồn tại được. Trong khi những người sống tối giản chỉ cần những thứ cực kỳ cơ bản (nhưng đa năng, bền chắc) là họ đã có thể tồn tại đuợc rồi. Lúc thử lối sống này, tôi chọn 3 bộ quần áo (màu sắc khác nhau để có thể phối quần này áo kia), 1 áo khoác nhẹ, 3 bộ quần áo lót, 2 áo ngủ, một máy tính, một cục sạc, một điện thoại, một túi xách, 1 giày thể thao, 1 đôi giày đi làm, 1 đôi xăng đan, một thỏi son, một hộp phấn, một chì kẻ chân mày, một hộp kem dưỡng da, môt sữa rửa mặt, 1 kem đánh răng, 1bàn chải, 1 quyển sách..là xong.

Trong khi tôi có cơ hội để thực hành lý thuyết vàng 80/20 (mình chỉ sử dụng 20% những thứ mình sỡ hữu, 80% những thứ trong nhà mình chả đụng đến) và đạt được kết quả mỹ mãn là cả tháng trời chẳng ai xung quanh tôi nhận ra tôi chỉ xài từng ấy thứ, tôi vẫn học hành, làm việc ngon lành (lòng thì hoan hỉ vì tiêt kiệm được ối tiền mua sắm), thì những người theo chủ nghĩa tối giản bảo rằng lối sống ấy giúp họ tập trung thời gian, năng lương để theo đuổi những thứ họ thích (thay vì mất thời gian chọn chọn lựa lựa hàng tỉ thứ họ sỡ hữu), tập cho bản thân lối sống tiết kiệm đơn giản (nhỡ bị mất việc, mất vợ, mất chồng, mất...tất cả thì còn biết sống kham khổ ra sao, không phải bán mình, nhắm mắt bỏ qua các giá trị sống mình luôn đeo đuổi để có tiền), thhải ra ít footprint cho trái đất (càng tiêu dùng ít thứ càng ít tàn hại quả đất). Đúng là toàn là những điều hay ý đẹp mà tôi tin tưởng...

Bây giờ phong trào minimalist lại nổi lên khi bà giúp việc của tôi tâm sự bà ấy đang cai nghiện shopping, bà thú nhận bà bị nghiện nặng, dịp nào lễ lớn on sale lớn ở Mỹ là bà "thu, tha, vơ, vét" cho bằng hết tất cả những thứ đại hạ giá về nhà (nhiều thứ bà đã mua cả vài năm trước vẫn còn mới cáu, nguyên giá nguyên mark chưa qua sử dụng, sau phong trào dọn nhà mùa xuân spring cleaning 2017 thì bà đẩy ra được 26 thùng carton đầy ắp) và dĩ nhiên là hai cái thẻ credit card đã over maximum limit mà bà đang phải còng lưng trả nợ dần với lãi suất 25% một năm: số tiền bà thiếu nợ từ năm nảo năm nao $5700 đã biến thành con số khổng lồ là $68,500 vì lãi me lãi con chồng chất và trong tương lai còn sẽ tiếp tục tăng vọt.

Tôi làm việc trong môi trường các bạn Mỹ trung lưu - tầng lớp bị bọn đại tư bản tấn công quyết liệt nhất ở xứ này trên phương diện tiêu dùng - và thấy rõ thật ra thích món đồ gì là họ có thể mua ngay vì (món hàng so với mức thu nhập trung bình cũng không là gì cả) nhưng tôi lại thấy trong nhóm tôi ít có người vung tay quá trán. Cho nên tôi hơi có phần giật mình mỗi khi chúng tôi có khách từ xứ khác đến (nhất là các nước đang phát triển), những người có tí tiền, khi được đưa đi shopping, thấy gì lạ là họ sẽ mua ngay, $5, $10, $60, $100, $500...họ chìm chìm đắm đắm trong các shopping mall từ giờ này sang giờ khác mà tôi hay đùa là "chìm đắm trong chủ nghĩa đế quốc", họ nhanh tay vơ vào những món hàng lạ mắt đẹp mã ( phần lớn sản xuất tại Trung Quốc nhưng không thực sự cần thiết cho cuộc đời của họ). Với phương châm "thích là nhích" họ sẳn sàng thò tay vào hầu bao rút tiền ra mua quần áo, giày dép, Iphone 7 vỏ đỏ (dù chiếc Iphone 6 trong túi họ chẳng bị sao cả) hay 10 thỏi son Chanel $45 một thỏi. Họ cho rằng đấy là cách họ hưởng thụ cuộc sống, là cách họ chạm tay vào thế giới văn minh, là cách để họ thể hiện đẳng cấp và chứng minh giá trị của chính mình (trong khi những người của thế giới văn minh thì đã chuyển sang sống xu hướng mới, tối giản, tiện ích, tiết kiệm thời gian, nghỉ ngơi tái tạo năng lương và làm những thứ có ích cho xã hội.)

Tôi hay đùa với các đồng nghiệp khi họ thắc mắt tại sao tôi quá đơn giản, không đeo túi LV, không đi xe Lexus, tỉ lệ "bơm nâng cắt xẻ" không đạt 90% như những đàn bà Việt Nam ở Mỹ mà họ biết. Tôi cuời bảo vì công ty mình trả lương cho tao bèo thế làm sao tao đua với các chị gái ấy được. Thì thôi cũng được, sống kiểu "new money" (cứ có tiền là phải mua sắm - thể hiện) cũng có sao đâu. Rồi đến một ngày họ sẽ hiểu, cả đời họ đi làm quần quật kiếm tiền chỉ để tự mình biến mình thành những con gà béo núc mà lũ tư bản cáo già luôn rắp tăm săn đuổi và sẳn sàng xẻ thịt. Họ như những con cá mắc cạn trong cái luới các đai gia tư bản vĩ đại luôn giăng ra, và với tâm hồn đã bị vật chất đầu độc một cách thảm thương, dù có cố cách này hay cách khác, họ không bao giờ đào thoát khỏi tấm lưới một cách thành công. Có thể sẽ có lúc họ hiểu ra, nhưng lúc ấy chắc chắn họ đã trở thành gà quay, cá nuớng mất rồi!

If you have been simplifying your life, or thinking about living more minimally, you might be further along than you think. My actions were screaming minimalism, long before my brain registered that’s where I was headed.

25 Reasons You Might be a Minimalist

1. If you have an empty attic or storage shed, you might be a minimalist.
2. If you are debt-free or paying off debt with gazelle intensity, you might be a minimalist.
3. If walking through Target or Walmart makes you really uncomfortable, you might be a minimalist.
4. If your children are mad at you because you canceled the cable, you might be a minimalist.
5. If you can’t stop giving stuff away, and your dog is worried that he’s next, you might be a minimalist.
6. If a friend asks you to go shopping, and you would rather go to the dentist, you might be a minimalist.
7. If you don’t want your parents to stop by your yard sale, because you are selling their stuff too, you might be a minimalist.
8. If you don’t have a junk drawer, you might be a minimalist.
9. If you have more free time than ever before, you might be a minimalist.
10. If you have ever used a car share service, you might be a minimalist.
11. If you are curious about living with less than 100 things, you might be a minimalist.
12. If clutter makes you crazy, you might be a minimalist.
13. If you follow less than 100 people on twitter, or 100 friends on Facebook, you might be a minimalist.
14. If you vote with your dollars, you might be a minimalist.
15. If people who can fit all of their belongings in a backpack inspire you, you might be a minimalist.
16. If you schedule time for nothing, you might be a minimalist.
17. If you nap, you might be a minimalist.
18. If you read a book, and then give it away, you might be a minimalist.
19. If you want to have a packing party, you might be a minimalist.
20. If words like trinket and souvenir make you cringe, you might be a minimalist.
21. If you’ve thought about living in a tiny house, you might be a minimalist.
22. If there are less than 33 things in your closet, you might be a minimalist.
23. If you spend more time thinking of ways to reduce your overhead than ways to make money, you might be a minimalist.
24. If you have more resources (time, talent, treasure) to give, you might be a minimalist.
Last, but not least….
25. If you would rather spend a day with Leo Babauta instead of Oprah Winfrey, you might be a minimalist.
Maybe you agree with some of these statements, or think some are silly. With all of the misconceptions about minimalism, it can be confusing to see how it might apply to your life. You might be a minimalist, or maybe you’re just happier living with less. Then again, what’s the difference?
*
https://zenhabits.net/my-story/

My Story

BY LEO BABAUTA
So you’re reading some of my posts on how to achieve your goals, and how to save money or exercise or wake up early, and you’re wondering … what exactly are my qualifications?
My answer is that I have no formal qualifications. I am not an expert, or a doctor, or a coach. I haven’t made millions of dollars and I’m not the world’s greatest athlete.
All I am is a regular guy, a father of six kids, a husband, a writer from Guam(moved to San Francisco in 2010, now living in Davis, California). But I have accomplished a lot over the last couple of years (and failed a lot) and along the way, I have learned a lot.
Here’s what I’ve done since December 2005, when I began to make changes in my life (this is going to sound like bragging, so forgive me, please):
  • Quit smoking (on Nov. 18, 2005). Really the change that set all the other changes in motion. Quitting smoking taught me a lot about changing habits and accomplishing goals, and all the elements needed to make this successful. I had tried and failed to quit smoking before, and when I was successful this time, I analyzed it and learned from it and was inspired by my success. Success can breed success, if you take advantage of it. (Quit coffee)
  • Became a runner. In order to relieve stress without smoking, I took up running. I started out by running about half a mile, heavily winded after doing so. I slowly built up my distance and within a month was running my first 5K. Soon after, I was so into running that I decided to run my first marathon.(Became a walker)
  • Ran several marathons. About a year after I started running, I completed my first marathon. I didn’t do it very fast, but I did it. It had always been one of my lifetime goals, and completing it was one of the very best things I’ve ever done. Since then I’ve done two others, including the Honolulu marathon
  • Began waking early. In order to get my running in, I decided to start waking early. I did it slowly, and once I began waking early, I began to discover the joys of the quiet morning hours. I get so much more done in the morning — not work, but working on my goals.(Began praying early)
  • Became organized. In early 2006, I decided to create simple systems for organizing. I learned how to keep my files in order, how to stay on top of my paperwork, to be organized at home and work. I’m not perfect, but I’m much, much improved over how I was before.(Became organized)
  • Began eating healthy. As a runner, and someone with the goal of losing weight, I decided I needed to eat healthier. I began cutting back on unhealthy things like fried and salty and sweet foods. I ate leaner poultry and fish, more fruits and veggies, more whole grains. It felt great! (Began eating healthy)
  • Became a vegetarian. In August 2006, I decided to become vegetarian. I first cut out meat, and then slowly transitioned to a 99% vegan diet (now fully vegan). I don’t drink milk or eat eggs. I am eating healthier than ever before. (Became a vegetarian)
  • Tripled my income. I was only working as a free-lancer for most of 2005, and wasn’t making enough to support my family, looking back on it. I got a job and continued free-lancing and effectively doubled my take-home by working two jobs (while still having time for exercise and my family). Now I make much more than that working for myself.(Saving money for helping)
  • Wrote a novel. I participated in NaNoWriMo 2006, and completed 50,000 words in November 2006 for my novel. Actually, I still need to finish the ending and revise it, but achieving my goal of 50,000 words was awesome.http://blog.nanowrimo.org/post/160205965871/nano-interview-tia-ross-of-black-writers-events
  • Completed NaNoWriMo for the 2nd time, writing 108,000 words in a novel in 30 days in November 2009.
  • Took control of my finances. This is related to doubling my income, of course, but I stopped living paycheck-to-paycheck and learned how to stick to my budget, spend less, save and pay off debts.
  • Saved a sizable emergency fund. One of the smartest financial moves I’ve ever made. If you don’t have one, start today! My emergency fund is now very comfortable, but it wasn’t very large at first. I couldn’t have gotten out of debt without it.
  • Completely eliminated my debt. I started with some smaller bills in 2006, and paid off every single debt by the end of the 2007. It was amazing! I now live debt-free.
  • Simplified my life. I have become fairly frugal, and have reduced a lot of clutter in my life. A little at a time, gradually getting better, but I’m pretty happy with the simplicity of my house and the rest of my life.
  • Cleared my inbox and desk and kept them that way. My inbox is always clear, and so is my desk. It is lovely!
  • Lost weight. I’ve lost about 65 pounds and am fitter than ever. (Keep 48 kilograms)
  • Trained and completed a couple short triathlons. I did it for fun, not competition, and it was a blast.
  • Began commuting to work by bike. I just started this a few weeks ago, and only do it once or twice a week, but I hope to gradually increase to doing it 4-5 times a week. I am saving gas, helping the environment, being frugal, simplifying my life and getting great exercise all in one move!
  • Started Zen Habits and made it a top blog within a year. Today, Zen Habits has over 200K subscribers and has twice been named one of the Top 25 blogs by Time Magazine.
  • Started a second blog, Write To Done, for writers and bloggers. It now has more than 20K subscribers and is one of the Top 10 blogs for writers. (Note: I no longer own this blog — I gave it away a few years ago.)
  • Wrote a best-selling productivity ebook, Zen To Done at the end of 2007. Has been bought and downloaded by hundreds of thousands of readers.
  • Wrote an Amazon best-selling print book, The Power of LessSee it here.
  • Started a third blog, mnmlist, about minimalism.
  • Gave up my car in the summer of 2010. These days my family walks or takes mass transit, and we’re also starting to take up bicycling.
  • Moved to San Francisco in summer 2010. This allowed my family to give up our car, live vegan more easily, and enjoy city life with beautiful nature activities nearby. (Travel to Canada, USA in Winter 2017)
  • Completed the Goruck Challenge in 2011Super tough physical fitness team challenge, running and hiking and carrying heavy things and doing pushups and crabwalks and more, for 13+ hours … with 50+ lbs. of bricks on your back.
  • Created the Sea Change Program in 2012. This is my habit membership program, and it helps a couple thousand people a month change their habits.
  • Became fully vegan. After being mostly vegan for several years, in October 2012 I decided to go fully vegan. One of the best decisions of my life. (Done fully vegan 31/2 yrs)
  • Created more: The 7-Day Vegan Challenge, a handful of ebooks, the Simple Fitness Habit course and more.
  • Ran a 50-mile ultramarathon in December 2013. One of the hardest accomplishments of my life.
That sounds like a lot, and looking back on it, it is. But I didn’t tackle it all at once, and by building on and learning from each previous success, I was able to achieve each new challenge I set before myself. And I had a blast doing it (and still do).
Now, I have no claims to perfection. I fail all the time, on a daily basis. But I don’t let it stop me. Maybe I didn’t run today. But that doesn’t mean I won’t run tomorrow, and over the long run, I’ve made incredible progress.
How have I done all this? No magic tricks, no special amount of determination or dedication. Simple methods, the stuff I talk about on this site, and stuff that I’m still learning to perfect and probably never will.
It is a journey, with no destination, that we are on, my friends. Join me. Together, we’ll accomplish a lot and have fun along the way.
https://zenhabits.net/my-story/

No comments:

Post a Comment