Wednesday, February 14, 2018

on Valentine’s Day...

shared Elizabeth Gilbert is with Clifford Gilbert.
9 hrs
Dear Ones:
Sometimes you catch a glimpse of yourself — unwashed, suffering from the flu, wearing your sweatpants on Valentine’s Day, navigating the unspeakably devastating loss of the love of your life — and all you can do is LAUGH.
Because: seriously?! 
Yes. Seriously.
My friends, can I tell you something that is so true and sincere? I LOVE THIS WORLD. I love this life. Even today. Despite everything. (Maybe even especially today, because it’s so absurd.)
To be a human, it seems to me, is the greatest and most ridiculous and most painful and most beautiful incarnation in town. You never know what’s coming. It’s terrifying at times, but I’ll take it. I’ll take the whole ride.
Why am I telling you all this?
Because I know that this dumb holiday is hard for some people. And I want you to know: if you need a Valentine today, I will be yours. Why not? I don’t smell so good right now, sure, but my heart is pure, and I’m always ready for an interesting experience. And I love you. So let’s do this thing. Let’s love each other. Whoever you are, and whatever your life is doing to you today, I love you. True fact.
Onward,
LG
Comments
Timmi Moore Dear Elizabeth, from the moment back in 2009 when my mother handed me your book "Eat, Pray, Love" to read as I went through the difficult process of divorcing my husband of 32 years (unofficially and without fanfare ending my concurrent 32 year membership in the LDS church in the process, and subsequently feeling the wrath and ostracization of my seven children, who had been fooled by my natural tendency to make the best of situations into thinking their parents were "happy" and were decidedly NOT happy to have their happy little worlds and expectations (you know, forever family and all that) upset -- I have loved your deep insights into human (and especially female humans socialized in the Western culture) nature, your ability to describe the growing pains you've gone through in such a relatable way, and your courage in continuing to seek for a way to live authentically and happily in this crazy world. I read your book "Committed" later on, and found in it a release from the lingering guilt I still carried about ending my marriage, even though it had obviously been a very healthy move for me, and for my ex-husband as well. I got only partway through "Big Magic" (my youngest daughter's copy) recently before having to return it, but I recognized therein my own tendency to doubt my creative impulses and stifle my productivity - I have started painting watercolors more as a result. Who cares whether I am ever "successful" as an artist - when I feel the creative impulse to paint something, I do it now, and enjoy the process thoroughly! I am sad with you about losing your lovely partner. I send love and hopeful energy your way as you heal and are drawn back into life. I look forward to seeing what you do next. Hugs on this Valentines Day from one of your grateful readers! (P.S. I got nearly all my kids back in time, and am happily partnered with a beautiful soul-mate of a man, and have long since made peace with my spirituality - life does go on, eh?) (P.P.S. I included one of my favorite recent paintings, which I called "The Burdens of Women" 2014 by Timmi Moore, BFA 13"x18" watercolor depicting tribal women somewhere in Asia, working as miners carrying rocks uphill in baskets on their heads. I saw the photo in some charity brochure, and felt the image was a perfect metaphor for how women carry their burdens, beautifully, through life. I hope you enjoy it!) (P.P.P.S. I LOVE YOU!)Manage

No comments:

Post a Comment