Tuesday, September 1, 2015

When worry is good: Talking to your child about sexual abuse.


  • Thank you for this! As someone who suffered sexual abuse for years as a child, I wonder all the time HOW to talk to my children about being safe. My parents never had those talks with me, so when it happened, I really didn't know I should have told anyone, which is why it continued for so long. I don't want to make the same mistake with my children, but I also don't want to scare them and make them fearful of everyone.
      • Avatar
        Making it a regualr easy discussion is the key to avoiding fear. My son is 4 and I ask permission to dry his privates, because i have taught hom he is the boss of his own body. Then quiz him "when is it ok for someone to touch your willy?" The awnser is 'health or hygiene' so if he says "in the bath" and so he recognising me drying him is allowed. We preach consent for kissing/tickling/playing and he knows "no means stop". At least this way they will not be manipulated should the worst happen. Keep talking, keep it positive and you can't go wrong :)
        • Avatar
          I would add another rule for parents. Don't make your child hug or kiss anyone they do not want to or when they don't want to. 
          Many times, I see and hear,"Go and give your Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle, Sibling, etc a hug" and the child is refusing and the parent force them to go give them a hug, seemingly to protect the adults feelings. No, no, no,- a thousand times!!! I hate when parents do that. Their body is their own. Do not force them to give affection when they don't want to give it. You are telling them social graces are above their feelings. A possible consequence to this behavior, is having the child think that if they are sexual abuse that this is what they are suppose to do, even though that don't want it. 
          I remember my mom making me give hugs, when I didn't want to and I walked away feeling icky. It wasn't so much as the person receiving the hug had ill intentions, but I hated being made to give affection, when I didn't want to.
            • Avatar
              Consent and control over our own bodies is such an important lesson! I taught my 4yo son that no one can touch his privates (the area covered by under pants) enless he says so and only then for health or hygiene. If they know "no means stop" they are not confused if the worst should happen and someone takes advantage then they will run away/snitch with confidence avoiding ongoing abuse.
              • Avatar
                As a licensed foster parent, I have to take classes occasionally and the last class I took was about exactly this. All the info you provided in this post was discussed during the class, so this is awesome information! I hope it helps others. Another thing the instructor told us is to keep talking about it, even if the kids don't want to hear it. They might get embarrassed and say stuff like "oh my god mom I KNOW!" but say it anyway. Talk to them about in the car where they can't run away from you. They might get annoyed by it, but they'll remember it. Also remember that most of the time children are abused by someone they know and most likely trust, so it's important to not focus completely on "stranger danger" when talking to your kids about this type of thing.
                  • Avatar
                    Thank you for not mentioning the same old crap about stranger danger. When it happens, it's someone trusted more often than not. I don't think I've read much sex abuse prevention stuff that doesn't include stranger danger. Boundaries are definitely important, so thank you for the bit about the hugs. If you're concerned about your own thoughts towards children, please visit my blog. Prevention starts with a potential offender getting help.
                      • Avatar
                        This is exactly why I let my son watch Law and Order: SVU, their story lines are pulled right out of the headlines and are great conversation starters. Plus it works both ways, learn who to stay away from, and also that when a future love interest says no, it means no.
                          • Avatar
                            Except that SVU relies on old stereotypes like stranger danger, and does not address any sort of help that might be available before someone offends. They go out of their way to disparage sexual offenders. It may be a conversation starter, but it can also reinforce harmful stereotypes that end up taking away from real prevention efforts to focus on punishing and revenge against the perpetrator. In most cases a child abuser is caught, they do not offend again because they have gotten treatment. Yet SVU portrays these people as repeat offenders.
                            • Avatar
                              Can we stop calling it sexual abuse prevention that pretty clearly implies that the victumes of abuse are to blame for not preventing there attacks. You can't prevent abuse by arming would be victumes. The only way to prevent abuse is to teach our childern not to become abusers. My parents taught me plenty about good and bad touch but that did nothing to stop my abuser.

                            No comments:

                            Post a Comment